Backpacks are an essential piece of gear for any outdoor enthusiast. They allow you to carry all of your essential gear with you, whether you’re hiking, camping, or backpacking. But with so many different backpacks on the market, it can be tough to know which one is right for you.
That’s where this guide comes in. In this article, we’ll discuss everything you need to know about choosing the perfect outdoor backpack. We’ll cover topics such as backpack size, capacity, features, and materials. We’ll also provide reviews of some of the best outdoor backpacks on the market.
What to Look for in an Outdoor Backpack
There are a few key factors to consider when choosing an outdoor backpack. These include:
- Backpack size: Backpacks come in a variety of sizes, from small daypacks to large expedition packs. The size of the backpack you need will depend on the length of your trip and the amount of gear you’ll be carrying.
- Capacity: The capacity of a backpack is measured in liters. A daypack typically has a capacity of 20-30 liters, while an expedition pack can have a capacity of 100 liters or more.
- Features: Backpacks come with a variety of features, such as hydration bladder compartments, hip belts, and compression straps. The features you need will depend on your specific needs.
- Materials: Backpacks are made from a variety of materials, such as nylon, polyester, and canvas. The material of the backpack will affect its durability, weight, and water resistance.
Types of Outdoor Backpacks
There are three main types of outdoor backpacks: daypacks, backpacking packs, and expedition packs.
- Daypacks: Daypacks are small, lightweight backpacks that are perfect for day hikes or short trips. They typically have a capacity of 20-30 liters.
- Backpacking packs: Backpacking packs are larger and more durable than daypacks. They are designed to carry everything you need for multi-day backpacking trips. Backpacking packs typically have a capacity of 50-80 liters.
- Expedition packs: Expedition packs are the largest and most durable type of backpack. They are designed for long-distance backpacking trips in remote areas. Expedition packs typically have a capacity of 100 liters or more.
How to Choose the Right Outdoor Backpack
Now that you know what to look for in an outdoor backpack, here are a few tips for choosing the right one for you:
- Consider the length of your trip: If you’re only going on day hikes, you can get away with a small daypack. But if you’re going on a multi-day backpacking trip, you’ll need a larger backpack.
- Consider the amount of gear you’ll be carrying: The size and capacity of your backpack will depend on the amount of gear you’ll be carrying. If you’re only carrying the essentials, you can get away with a smaller backpack. But if you’re carrying a lot of gear, you’ll need a larger backpack.
- Consider the features you need: Backpacks come with a variety of features. Some of the most common features include hydration bladder compartments, hip belts, and compression straps. Consider the features you need and choose a backpack that has them.
- Consider the material of the backpack: The material of the backpack will affect its durability, weight, and water resistance. Choose a material that is appropriate for the type of activities you’ll be using the backpack for.
|Feature||Osprey Talon 22||Gregory Baltoro 65L||The North Face Terra 65||Kelty Redwing 50|
|Capacity||22 liters||65 liters||65 liters||50 liters|
|Weight||2.2 pounds||4.4 pounds||4.2 pounds||3.5 pounds|
|Best use||Day hikes||Backpacking||Backpacking||Backpacking|
is a great choice for day hikers who need a lightweight and comfortable backpack.
is a good choice for backpackers who need a durable and comfortable backpack that can carry a lot of gear.
is a good choice for backpackers who are looking for a budget-friendly backpack.
is a good choice for backpackers who are looking for a comfortable and durable backpack that is easy to pack.
Ultimately, the best backpack for you will depend on your individual needs and preferences. Consider the factors we’ve discussed in this article, and choose a backpack that is right for you.
Choosing the right outdoor backpack is an important decision. By considering the factors we’ve discussed in this article, you can choose a backpack that will be comfortable, durable, and functional.
Here are some additional tips for choosing the right outdoor backpack:
- Try on the backpack before you buy it. This will help you make sure that it fits you properly and that it’s comfortable to wear.
- Read reviews of different backpacks before you make a purchase. This will help you get an idea of what other people think of the backpacks you’re considering.
- Don’t be afraid to spend a little more money on a quality backpack. A good backpack will last for years, so it’s worth investing in one.
I hope this guide has helped you choose the perfect outdoor backpack for your needs. Happy hiking!